Wednesday, 21 April 2010

Singapore Fashion Festival: Henry Holland, DSquared and Roberto Cavalli

Pic source: vogue.com

Don't you just love Henry Holland's t-shirt? It made me laugh out loud (although of course there is more than a little truth behind it – I sometimes find myself praying for the future of fashion).

By the time you're reading this, I'll be on a plane on the way to Singapore, where I'm director of the Singapore Audi Fashion Festival, which starts this weekend. I'm looking forward to meeting Henry – and not just because of his t-shirt. Everyone tells me he is a charming, sharp and funny young man. And, of course, he also designs rather accomplished clothes.

Henry Holland is one of three labels I've invited to this year's festival. The other two are crazy Canadians Dean and Dan, whose label is DSquared, and Roberto Cavalli, who is celebrating 40 years in the fashion business – for most of which I have known and admired him. What I like is that we've brought together a young company with Henry and an established company with Dean and Dan, while with Roberto we have a designer who has followed his star despite the ups and downs of fashion change. Although he may be associated with bling, there's no doubt that Roberto Cavalli is now classic.

What's more, these guys are all great company in their very different ways (not always the case with designers) so I'm really looking forward to spending time with them. The ash cloud has caused a few anxious moments about getting designers, clothes and production teams in the right place at the right time, but everything has come together in the end.

For this week, at least, I won't have to pray for fashion – although you might forgive me praying a little that the ash doesn't come back.

3 comments:

  1. Yesterday night I was searching for some shoe-history info when I found your blog, and let me tell you, I inmediatelly LOVED your writing!!
    Good luck in Singapore!!
    I'll keep reading this blog, for sure!
    Barby, Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fab to hang out with Robeto Cavalli whose ability to manipulate fabric like icing sugar never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly pray that the the ash cloud neither stopped Colin getting to Singapore, nor will prevent his safe return.

    ReplyDelete