Tuesday, 29 September 2009

A Day of Meetings



A day of meetings – all about exciting possibilities.
 

The day began with a discussion with Selfridges about building on the very successful In Conversation with Christopher Bailey last Thursday. The next one is on October 13th, with the New York designer Alexander Wang, who ticks the essential boxes by being hot and cool at the same time! I am looking forward to it very much as it is some time since we had an American guest for one of my In Conversations.  
 

Left that meeting in a good mood and was soon put into an even better one at the next one. It was held in Home House, one of the last great eighteenth-century London townhouses still with its interior decoration intact, just as it was when it was in private ownership. It is now a private members' club, and despite modern additions – a bar by Zaha Hadid, for example – still gracious and calm, at least in mid-morning. I am not a member but one of the people I was meeting is. We were there to discuss a very exciting – and big – idea for a new fashion initiative in Asia which I might be asked to help. I hope so, as it would be both stimulating and challenging and open up for me a country I do not know in a part of the world which I find increasingly interesting. 


After that I went to see Matthew Williamson, whose headquarters in Shepherd Market is housed in another elegant, well-proportioned townhouse. I was there to interview him for a book we are working on for publication next year, which chronicles his career so far. It is a sort of half-term report, I guess, and it is going to look beautiful.